Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Meet the Makers #2... Black Agnes

Welcome to the second installment of 'Meet the Makers'!
This time we put a few questions to Christine, the super talented and lovely lady behind jewellery range, Black Agnes
Her work varies from the ever popular and very feminine petite pendulum crystal earrings to harder edged militaria style brooches and necklaces (these ones have quite a steam punk feel to them).
We love it all!


Where do you call home and make your jewellery e.g.garden shed, kitchen table?
My home is an industrial-style house in Jville, built in the 1940s/50s which looks like no other house on the street! It is also a large renovation project...
I have a studio which I have nicknamed‘The Lightbox’due to it being glass on 3 sides, but confess that
my materials and my making often overflow into other parts of the house.


Tell us about your latest collection and the inspiration behind it.  
I love combining metal and textile in my jewellery and am particularly drawn to aesthetics that hint at another era. 
In my latest collection ‘Everyday Hero’ the pieces take on a medal-like quality with the inclusion of boldly-striped tapes anchoring each medallion.

What is your favorite piece from this season/collection and why?
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a necklace girl through and through, but this season I am loving these tiny Accolade medal brooches which also look great in tandem and can be worn on anything from a t-shirt to a dress or tailored jacket. 
I like to have a little arsenal of stories at the ready for when someone asks me what I have done to be worthy of my medals ;-)

If you had to choose three words to sum up the spirit of your label what would they be?
Fearless, quirky, 21st century Victoriana!

Mixing modern and historic references is something we love to do at emma too with each season taking inspiration from beloved clothing, objects, music & people from bygone eras. 
Must be why we like Black Agnes as we do. Thanks Christine, always exciting to see what you will create next! 


No comments: